Join the VIPKID family of 20,000 ESL Work-From-Home Teachers in the US.
VIPKID is the fastest growing education startup in China & the US with
a mission to teach English to Chinese children.
We have grown 4x in last 365 days.
VIPKID has a student base of 300,000+ students.
Are you a native English Speaker and would like to help young Chinese kids learn your language?
You can start earning up to $2,500 a month working part time from your home.
Tutree+VIPKID's mission is to provide the American elementary school experience to Chinese children -
all from the comfort of their homes.
Because of its innovative business model, platform and curriculum, VIPKID has won awards, such as the Shengjing Top 21 Global Innovation Award in 2015, the US-China Entrepreneurship Leader Award in 2014, Sina's China's Most Valuable Online education brand and best teachers award in 2015, and Tencent's China's Most powerful education brand in 2015.
(In our teachers' own words)
- Work from home (in your pajamas)
- Great starting pay (plus additional bonuses for short notice classes, new student enrollment, and teacher referrals)
- Create your own hours (as of Feb. 2017, they no longer require a minimum of 7.5 hours/week)
- The kids are adorable
- It's exciting to be part of such a new and successful company
- Rewarding field
- All you have to do is teach, there is no lesson prep or homework grading
- Classes are fast paced and go by quickly
- Teacher community + comradery
- "I Feel valued + respected"
- Fun competitions and other ways to win money/prizes
- Students are usually very excited for class and enjoy participating.
- Curriculum is prepared for you, so there is minimal preparation.
- "I appreciate that you are not required to open classes too early in advance. I have typically opened classes a week or two in advance and have filled my open slots."
- "I love the short notice $2 bonus for opening classes less than 24 hours before the class begins."
- The app is nice to have so you can check when students have booked and preview the material.
- It's fun to have students who are on the same level book you, because you get to teach the same lessons multiple times for different students.
- "I like the payment section on the Teacher Portal. It's nice to watch your incentives and payments grow as you continue to teach throughout the month."
- "It feels great to see students book your class over and over again."
We don't require proficiency of the Chinese language.
Our students want to only speak in English with the instructor.
- Good Command over spoken English
(North American accents preferred)
- Experience working with children between the ages of 5-12
(Desired, Not required)
- ESL and phonics teaching experience
(Desired, Not required)
- Bachelor's degree in any field OR Associate's degree in Early Childhood Education
- Technical Requirements: Desktop Computer or Laptop with a Decent Internet connection which enables audio/video capabilities.
About this Job
Contract term: 6-Months
Start date: Immediately
How many students do I teach in each class?
All VIPKID classes are one-on-one to ensure we meet 100% of each student’s needs.
Do teachers always teach the same students?
No, teachers teach any student who books their class.
Do classes take place on Skype or another platform?
VIPKID has developed its own education platform to facilitate our one-on-one classes.
Where does the booked interview happen?
The interview happens on our portal at t.vipkid.com.cn. After you book an interview, on the day of your interview, you can enter the classroom one hour before the interview to test your equipment before it starts. Make sure you test your equipment beforehand, as we are also evaluating your equipment to see if your internet connection is able to maintain a 30-min smooth connection with a server in China.
Why is the interview and demo so important?
The interview is very important as it, along with your qualifications, decides whether or not you will be accepted to work with VIPKID and it will determine your base service fee (payment).
What do I need to display in the demo lesson?
You will need to display how well you are able to explain activities to a foundation level student, how you are able to elicit complete answers from the student, your ESL teaching skills and your time management. Also, be prepared for the slides as it is very obvious if you never looked at them and could result in failing the application process in some cases.
There are no interview slots available. What should I do?
Interview time slots are shown for the next 3 days. If you are not available to interview in the times shown, you can 1) choose Method 2 and record an interview or, 2) come back to the portal 3 days before your desired date to book an interview.
How do I interview at VIPKID?
There are two methods to interview with us. You can:
- Book an interview: Pick a timeslot from the calendar shown on the interview page.
Join us for a 30-min session where you showcase your teaching skills to a VIPKID recruiter.
- Record an interview: Record your demo lesson at your own time so that a VIPKID recruiter can evaluate you. Instructions on how to record your interview can be found on the interview page.
What will I be evaluated on?
Please take a look at our Applicant Performance Indicators, which highlight all areas that our candidates will be evaluated on when they interview at VIPKID.
What are must-dos to be successful at the VIPKID interview?
-Practice the demo lesson PPTs.
- -Take a look at our Applicant Performance Indicators so you know what we are looking for in candidates.
- -Teach from a place with good background and lighting.
- -Good Internet connection.